Lemon Sorbet ... Without an Ice Cream Maker
Makes 2 pints ... or 5 cups ... or 26 scoops
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup lemon-lime soda (I used Sprite)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1-2 tbs freshly grated lemon zest
- fresh mint (optional, for garnish)
1. Juice lemons. Save halves for serving.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine water, sugar, and lemon zest. Stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Strain cooled water, sugar, and lemon zest mixture into bowl.
4. Stir in 2 cups of freshly squeezed lemon juice and 1/2 cup of lemon-lime soda.
5. Transfer to a 9 x 13 metal baking pan. Place in freezer (for 2-4 hours). Stir with fork every half hour.
6. Scoop into lemon half, garnish with mint.