where have all the paint sticks gone?

Is it just me?  Or have you, too, noticed retailer’s recent reluctance to hand over the paint sticks?  Seems the last few times I’ve walked out of a store with a gallon or quart or two I’ve found myself at home sans stir sticks.

Do they seem me coming and hide all the paint sticks?  Are they concerned that I have ulterior paint stir stick motives?  Could it be possible they caught wind of my “it started with paint sticks” Pinterest board featuring … you go it … paint stick projects?

paint-stick-project-idea-gallery

Sources: paint stick planter; paint stir stick letter; paint stick herringbone table top; paint stick drum shade; paint stick table runner; paint stick chalkboard tags; paint stick art

I’m pretty sure alarms go off in the paint department the minute my car pulls into the parking lot.  My every move as I traverse the aisles monitored.  Then panic sets in ..

“Dear Mother of God,she’s heading to the paint department.”

“Hurry. Move it.  Hide all the paint sticks.”

“You know the drill, play dumb when she asks about the paint stirrers.”

“Try to distract her with shiny things.  She’s originally from Jersey, after all …”

You know how you always want what you can’t have?  Yeah?  Well, the whole hiding-of-the-paint-sticks-from-me-strategy is backfiring.  Now I want to create a paint stir stick project even more than before.  I can’t stop thinking about it.  There may very well we some paint stick art or a paint stick letter or, better yet, a paint stick table top in my living room remodel’s future …

Smile

I’m just going to have to go in stealth mode.  Or maybe I could just send my husband in for me …

signature-orange

Want to follow along on my paint stick adventures?  It’s easy.

Get it all started with paint delivered to your email inbox:

Enter your email address:
Delivered by FeedBurner

Let’s keep in touch:

facebooktwitter

Comments

1. says

“She’s originally from Jersey…” Totally cracked me up. This is Pookie, isn’t it? Or Skookie? What the hell was the midget’s name from Jersey Shore?

2. says

I kind of want to go to the paint store and just see if I can get some, perhaps I could smuggle them to you… no one could know though because I don’t want to be cut off by the paint stick mafia

3. says

Yes funny you mention it I have noticed that.I am almost afraid to ask for more than one.They give you a look …..like…why do you need more?Well this girl has lots of painting to do.Just ask anyone she knows!
    xx
    Anne

4. Dana @ Cooking at Cafe D says

Linda,
    Don’t worry – you’re not paranoid.
    (They really are out to get you!)

Hubby works at the HD and they actually have your face pinned behind the paint counter.
    (Okay, not really.)

But, in all seriousness, Hubby recently showed ME a pic of a paint stick lampshade he thought looked cute. So, I’ve started pinning a few and I’ll be making ours soon!
    ~ Dana

5. says

Ok. I don’t get it. Don’t people USE their paint sticks to STIR their paint???? I have 300 paint sticks – all covered with paint. Is there a secret way to stir paint without a paint stick? How do people get enough sticks to do a project with? I wonder the same thing about the paint color chip projects. Do people just take all of the samples from the store? I just had an idea – are these the ones they take off the shelf when they are no longer marketed colors? Your are IASWP – you should know the answers to this question!

6. says

Thank you so much for the shout out for my paint stick planter makeover. And your Pinterest board is pretty dang inspiring.
    Yes, I think Home Depot sees me coming now too. But for smaller projects I’ve started to save even my used sticks – I just cut off the part that is all painty.
    Thanks again!
    David

7. says

I’m sure there’s a board full of pictures in the break rooms at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware and anywhere else they sell paint…..a board with blogger pictures! It’s not your imagination…those perfectly even, smoothly sanded, perfectly sized sticks of wood are enough to make us all start drooling! I bet there is a place to buy them in bulk! OMG…I never thought of that….I need to lie down!

8. says

Yep, I noticed too that the paint sticks are pretty scarce at the hardware stores anymore. Whenever I buy a gallon of paint, they reach under the counter and hand me one or two. I’m sure it was hard to keep any around when they used to keep them in an empty paint can out on the counter!

Debbie