Vegetarian California (un)Roll Buddha Bowl Salad – Asian Salad Recipe Ideas.
It’s been six days since I’ve eaten a vegetable.
I know, I know. Nothing to brag about.
I guess … technically … I may have consumed a pea here and a carrot there (in shrimp fried rice). And does the tomato sauce on pizza count as eating a vegetable?
But then again, isn’t tomato actually a fruit?
Speaking of fruits, not much in the way of fruit passed through through these lips over the past six days either.
Here’s the deal: The past six days was spent visiting my 86-year-old mother and my 88-year-old father in Florida. Before we left, I didn’t form or even think of an eating plan in advance. I went with a go with the flow attitude. I just didn’t realize go with the flow meant zero vegetables …
I think my body is in shock. I also think my body is about 5 pounds heavier than when I left!
I could verify that, but I’ve been avoiding the scale lately! 😉
Let’s just say my clothes are a little snug.
So today I’m back in Chicago and back to my veggie filled Buddha Bowl lunch routine. And this vegetarian California (un)Roll Buddha Bowl salad is one of my favorites! I eat this at least once (and sometimes twice!) a week.
Vegetarian California (un)Roll Buddha Bowl Salad
- 1 cup cooked sushi rice
- 1/4 cup Marukan seasoned gourmet rice vinegar
- 1/2 medium avocado, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 medium cucumber, sliced
- 1-2 cups lettuce
- sesame seeds (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp Marukan seasoned gourmet rice vinegar
- Make sushi rice according to package instructions. Once cooked, mix in 1/4 cup of Marukan seasoned gourmet rice vinegar. Set aside 1 cup for salad and store remaining rice in fridge.
- Layer 1-2 cups of shredded lettuce/greens in bottom of bowl. Add 1 tbsp of Marukan seasoned gourmet rice vinegar and mix.
- Arrange avocado, shredded carrots and cucumber to outer edges of bowl (on top of lettuce). Sprinkle with 1 tbsp of Marukan seasoned gourmet rice vinegar.
- Add 1 cup of sushi rice to center of bowl.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional)
So, my favorite part of this Buddha bowl is the seasoning …. specifically the Marukan Seasoned Gourmet Rice Vinegar. It adds a little sweet and a little salty taste to the rice and veggies. Here’s what is looks like …
And here’s an affiliate link on Amazon (click here). Though I found mine at the supermarket. I’m pretty sure other brands offer similar rice vinegar formulations. Just check the ingredients list for sugar and salt.
And as I type that it suddenly doesn’t sound quite as healthy!
Ah well. This is coming from a girl who went six days without nary a vegetable! But I do think the seasoned rice vinegar makes the whole vegetarian California (un)Roll Buddha bowl salad so much tastier!
You Might Also Like:
You can find all my recipes at this link …