mason jar lemon meringue pies

It’s a rare occasion when the family gets excited about a blog post.  Okay, that’s not exactly true.  They’ve never gotten excited about a blog post.  In fact, it’s typically the exact opposite.  My blog posts often involves displacement of their things – or them – as I work on a project or a photo shoot.

But this time?  This time they were intrigued.

It all started when my son spotted the Jell-O lemon pudding box. I mean, who doesn’t get excited at the sight of a Jell-O box?

That’s right, I told him. I’m making a spring dessert favorite.

Lemon Meringue Pie. With a twist.

And while in the throes of baking, my husband was delighted when I told him, why yes, we will get to eat these …

mason-jar-lemon-meringue-pie-2

… Lemon Meringue Pies in a mason  jar.

They were simple to make.  I started with the graham cracker “crust”.  I simply combined one package of graham crackers with 1/3 cup sugar and 4 TBS. of softened butter …

mason-jar-graham-cracker-crust

I crumbled the graham crackers in a Ziploc bag and then added in the sugar and softened butter.  I mixed it up by hand and pressed into the bottom of the mason jar.  I baked at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Then came the lemon pudding and meringue …

mason-jar-lemon-meringue-pie-recipe

I simply followed the instructions on the Jell-O box for the pudding and meringue.  Just be sure to get the “Cook & Serve” variety.  This won’t work with the no-bake instant pudding.

{And to answer questions about servings, I used the one 3 oz. Jello box to make 6 servings in 1/2 pint mason jars}

Update: To Make the Meringue: Beat together 4 egg whites and 1/2 cup of sugar. Beat until form peaks. Layer onto top of jars and cook at 350 degrees for approximately 10-minutes. Turn off oven. Tip: To prevent glass from baking, let jars cool down in oven before removing.

Once cooled, I refrigerated for a few hours before serving …

mason-jar-lemon-meringue-pie-option 2

The best part?  My husband thinks I’m some sort of creative genius for putting this recipe in mason jars.  Thankfully he’s not on Pinterest.

Smile

signature-orange

Looking for more mason jar recipes & projects?  Check out my Mason Jar Gallery …

painted-distressed-mason-jars

MASON JAR PROJECT GALLERY

Want to keep up with my projects?

It’s easy. Get it all started with paint delivered to your email inbox:

Enter your email address:
Delivered by FeedBurner

Sharing:

mason-jar-lemon-meringue-pie

* Thistlewood Farms * Savvy Southern Style * Funky Junk Interiors * Between Naps on the Porch * Under the Table & Dreaming * Today’s Creative Blog * Not Just A Housewife * Stone Gable * The Shabby Creek Cottage * House of Hepworths * Tatertots & Jello * The DIY Showoff * Common Ground * Redoux * A Bowl Full of Lemons * Crafty Scrappy Happy * The Shabby Nest * i heart nap time * Life We Live 4 * The First Year Blog * Six Sisters Stuff *

facebooktwitter

Comments

1. says

I love the way they look, so fresh and sunny and delish, I made cherry pies this way with pie crust pressed on botton and sides, then poured in canned filling and putting a crust top on it and crimped inside then baked..lid fit right on top, they were so surprised when I put them in a lunch…

2. says

OMG you are too funny! I was do jealous at first when I read that it’s a rare occasion when you’d family is excited about a blog post as my family never is, but when I realized you were joking I felt much better. Oh and the part about your husband not being on Pinterest, mine doesn’t even know it exists!

These are great, I have to try them, out to buy some mason jars..

Happy Easter,
    Julie

3. says

Beautiful! I’ve been so drawn to yellow as my spring accent color this year! And you have me thinking of making a dessert in mason jars that I’d like to make!

4. says

You’re so funny! Great idea and they look so pretty… pretty enough to eat! LOL So how long was it before you didn’t have any pies left to take photos of? I’m sure your family wolfed those down and I would be right there with them fighting over who gets the last one!

5. says

These combine two of my favorite things… yum!!! How did you brown the meringue? Did you put the jars in the oven?

Pinned these for future reference – thanks for sharing!

6. says

Talk about craving… yes, this is at the top of my list at the moment! I pinned this the other day and didn’t have a chance to come by and say thanks for making me think about them for the past week! :) I NEED lemon meringue NOW!!!
    Jaime

7. says

Wow Linda, they look BEE-U-TIFUL!! THIS I have to try. And my family will get excited too! Your meringue looks perfect. I’ll bet it was delish too. You go girl!!

8. says

Your lemon meringue pies in a jar are super cute and look so delicious!! Congrats on the Inspiration Friday feature! That’s pretty exciting. Have a great day. ~ Jamie

9. Carol says

Look yummy, but could you give some details – how many jars to buy, how you did the meringue, etc. Also, could you possibly put the recipe in print out form for when I go to the grocery store so I can be sure I get all the ingredients? Thanks!!

10. Frankie says

I’m drooling! How many Mason jars you need? What size? How much filling do you put. In each jar? Don’t tell ego just divide the filling into such and such number of jars! Whenever a recipe tells me to something like that I always end up with uneven quantities! Just don’t have a good eye for that kind of thing!

11. Johnny says

Where’s the recipe for meringue?? This is just a cheap way for making it–use the real thing next time, and you will be ‘wowed’ Have been making this way with the ‘real’ lemon from scratch filling (as in a pie) for many, many years. It can be done with any lemon meringue pie recipe. You just made lemon pudding pie! Try it next time with the real thing and your hubby and family will like it a lot better!!

• effie may says

Yes-I agree with you! Not listed ingredients for the meringue. Would’nt make this if you paid me–its a cheap looking and tasting dessert. Just lemon pudding in a jar!!

• Tracy says

Whoa not sure what is up with you and Effie but the instructions for the meringue ARE THERE. I guess you didn’t read the entire post. Goodness. If you don’t like something, please stifle the urge to complain. No one likes a whiner.

• says

In fairness to Effie, I did just add those meringue instructions this past week in response to questions. However, in my defense, the meringue recipe is also included on the side of the Jello box. I felt bad at first including it since, technically, it’s not my recipe. But due to repeated requests (and less than flattering comments) I’ve amended the post.

But thanks for sticking up for me! :)

said this before, I’m not a food blogger and had no idea this particular blog post would attract so much attention! I’m a bit overwhelmed!
        :) Linda

12. LeeLee says

I have to say that as delicious as these look, the directions are a little vague and incomplete. When you’re giving cooking directions, you should be as explicit as possible. Experienced cooks will run quickly through the directions and beginner cooks will appreciate the more detailed ones.

13. D. Powell says

I think you have to let your readers know what size Mason Jars, and how many servings per recipe. They look as if they are 1/2 pint jars.

14. Therese says

Could you please make your recipe printable? They look delicious and would love to make them for an upcoming cookout.Also how many does one recipe make?

15. JJohns says

Why would you go through all that trouble in making them in jars!!?? A lot easier just to make the crust, and make a pie! Who has room in their fridge for all the jars?? I agree it’s only pudding in a crust. Make your own–less time and taste a hell of a lot better………

16. Ellen Dutcher says

If your not interested in this recipe…don’t read it and be polite enough not to be offensive. I personally love shortcuts. I’m not a baker or pie maker. Love it. Thanks Linda

17. says

The look nice ,but cleaning up those jars ,not for me,It’s easier making 2 extra large pies, Takes more pie filling but the taste is really good and only two pie plates to clean,and it’s easy to make,not to say your isn’t good,but to much work LOL.

18. says

So cute! These would make the most adorable teacher gifts for the end of the school year! But I too would love a few more details like how you put the jars in the oven? Did you stand them on a cookie sheet? Did you need to bake them in a pan of water? I have seen recipes for cupcakes in a jar and the directions said to place them in a cake pan with an inch or two of water so that the jars don’t crack with the heat. Did you have any trouble with jars cracking when you baked the crust or browned the meringue?

• says

Michelle – instead of the water I recommend putting them in the oven while it’s still cold and then turn it on. Also, leave them in while the oven completely cools down. That will prevent them from cracking. :) Linda

19. Michele says

Really like this idea. It would be much easier to follow if you posted the recipe in its entirety and then did the photos. the information is scattered all over the page and makes the recipe very disjointed. I can’t wait to try making these though. Lemon is my favorite pie!

• says

So sorry about that. Honestly, I’m not a food blogger and never expected this old post of mine to go crazy on the internet! But, honestly, the easy-to-follow recipe is on the side of the Jell-O box! So sorry, again, for being disjointed. I may need to recreate this with clearer instructions, etc., as you suggest.
      :) Linda

• Joe Matson says

Linda, to hell with all these negative people ! I think this is a great idea, especially if you want to take them someplace like a BBQ or camping or a picnic, or even for a sports night thing. Pies are great, but this way,nobody can complain about portion size and shape or anything else. It may be a little more work, but they look a lot better than a slice of pie and I just think they’re beautiful!!! Those other folks just don’t know how to think outside the box!!! Joe.

• says

Joe – Thank you for that! I’ve certainly have had to grow a strong backbone when looking through the comments on this blog post! Thank you for coming to my defense!!!! :) Linda

• Martha says

Linda, I agree with Joe……ignore the others, some people just can’t be pleased, they love to complain. If they don’t like it, nobody is making them read or make this, If they don’t like it….move on people!!!! Linda, I love this idea and can’t wait to make them. Thanks again Linda for sharing!!!!!!!!!!

• says

Martha – you are too sweet!!! I’m so much enjoying my champions here! And I now have a renewed respect for food bloggers. Not only must they have top-notch photography, but they also must think of all the little details! I think I’ll stick to crafts and home diy stuff. :) Linda

20. says

Girls…..read the blog again! Linda did say to FOLLOW instructions on packages! Wulla! Thank you for the “refreshing” blog. Even if I don’t make it, it did make me SMILE! Xox

Thank you so much! ;)

And can I ask a question? I’ve been getting a TON of visitors to this post over the past two days from Facebook. Do you remember where you saw this link? I’m just trying to track it down. Thanks!!!! Linda

• says

So sorry about that. Truly, I’m not a food blogger and when I put up this recipe I never thought it would appeal to so many people! I’ve updated the post and am pretty sure I ended up with six servings using the 1/2 pint-sized wide mouth mason jars.
      :) Linda

21. says

I don’t believe these are wide mouth they are regular Jelly jars. But what a cute ideal I saw these in a magazine awhile ago and never made them going to try them soon. Thanks

• says

Laurie – You’re correct. I mislabeled. I was still a mason jar newbie when I made those lemon meringue pies in jars. Thanks for clarifying! :) Linda

22. says

These look amazing, but I think I will make my lemon pudding, since the egg yolks will be just hanging around looking to be a part of something. :-) Thank you for a great idea!

23. Mararet Mikeska says

I think these are great I am sure you can make it chocolate or any other filling. May granddaughters would just love these

• says

Thank you so much! And I just whipped up a no-bake chocolate pudding variety with a crushed Oreo cookie crust! Super decadent!!! :)

24. Annette says

Linda,

Do you know, or have you ever tried, making these and not filling it over the top so that you can put lids on them and pack them in a cooler for a picnic? Just wondering if they hold up for stuff like that?

• says

I guess you can do that. The serving size per jar would be smaller — but then you would be able to make more jars to bring, right? The other option is to skip the meringue part and just make the lemon pudding with the graham cracker crust. You can put the lids on and transport them to a picnic – and then topped them off with some Redi-Whip or Cool Whip just before serving. Hope that helps! :) Linda

• says

I am no a baker, love short cuts, an love the look of the dessert, will try this out, thank you for posting, I was wondering about the top of the dessert, looks like it was put in oven for few mins to get that little crusty look, ? or did u use one of those kitchen tools , can’t remember the name of it, for quick firing tops of desserts, what did you use, so I’ll know what to use on mine, thanks again for sharing, :)

• says

Kim – I did put it in the over for about 10 minutes just to brown it. I don’t have one of those fancy schamncy toasting tools! :) Linda

• KIM says

THANK YOU LINDA, :))) GONNA TRY THEM FOR THE 4TH TOMORROW, BY THE WAY, WHAT DEGREE DID U SET THE OVER TO BROWN THEM PRETTY ON THE TOP, THANKS AGAIN, AN HOPE U HAVE A GREAT 4TH OF JULY, KIM

• says

Uh oh – so sorry for being late with this response. I’ve been taking a little (and much needed!) blogging break. I would go with 350 degrees. I’ll go back and add that to the post. :) Linda

25. Rebecca says

I’m so lazy, I’d go one step further – I’d but a Nilla Wafer in the bottom. I will be making these for 4th of July!

26. Kathryn says

Do these need to be refrigerated? My boyfriend is a Marine and this is his favorite pie and I make him pie/cake in a jar. I want to send him this pie!! But I can’t if it needs to be in the refrigerator…

• says

I’m so sorry for not responding faster — I’ve been busy working on a book and then took a much-needed break from blogging! Yes, these do need to be refrigerated. Otherwise they would get all runny and mushy! So sorry, but please extend a HUGE thank you to your boyfriend for all he does to keep us safe! And free!!!! :) Linda

• Kathryn says

Not a problem, thanks for responding!! I’m bummed they can’t send though. Maybe I’ll just do a lemon cake instead :) and I will tell him :)

27. Mare says

My pies in a jar are literally cooling in the oven right now.. Just one note to those wanting to make this. Meringue rises!! LOL I have never made meringue and found that out the hard way. They are as tall as the jars themselves! I would probably halve the meringue recipe, and that would be enough. I can’t wait to try them!

• says

… and how did they taste? And you’re right about the meringue. I was following the version for the full pie which I think needs more meringue to cover the whole surface area. With the jars, your surface area isn’t as big. Thanks for the fabulous tip! :) Linda

28. says

I know this recipe is good and it looks cute BUT the makers of Ball jars, Jarden Corp. do NOT recommend ever putting their jars in the oven. The glass is tempered for a consistent wet heat and not the dry and varying heat of an oven. The glass is not made for this and it will alter the composition of the glass resulting in shattering or even a hairline crack that could send small shards of glass into the baked goods and be unseen. I realize people bake in these jars, but it is a very unsafe thing to do and could result in injury or loss of product. I wrote to the company and they sent me an email with this info about their jars. I wanted you to know this is not safe to avoid any problems should someone follow your directions and have a jar shatter. I am not trying to be mean or nasty in any way…just trying to save you and others from harm by providing accurate info.

Trackbacks